Questions? askUCL

Immigration and visas

Guidance for international students applying for visas to study at UCL, including information on Student visa applications, Biometric Residence Permits (BRP), working in the UK, the Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS), medical electives, and the Doctoral Extension Scheme.

Students arriving in the UK in 2021

It's important that students are aware of the rules and regulations regarding international travel in 2021.  With many students now planning to arrive in London from overseas, Student Support and Wellbeing has put together guidance to prepare for the new COVID-19 reality and if needed self-isolation.

In response to rising number of COVID-19 cases in London and new UK Government guidlines. UCL has set out our broad plans for your education at UCL in 2021-22 and your department will update you on the plans for your programme by no later than 1 July 2021.

To enter the UK, you will have to take a test up to 3 days before departure and provide a negative COVID-19 test.

To see full details on these topics, please visit the UCL coronavirus website.

Please note that England remains in a national lockdown. For full details of what this means, please visit the UK Government website


Immigration advice and COVID-19

A person's raised hand

Immigration advice and guidance during the COVID-19 crisis.

Student visa

Link to TfL

Advice and guidance about how to apply for a Student visa both inside and outside the UK. 

Student Immigration Advice

Link to Upgrade from MPhil to PhD

Access our virtual drop-ins or contact our Student Immigration Advice Team.

Standard visitor visa

london over the summer

Guidance on applying for a Standard visitor visa for short periods of study in the UK.

Other visas

Link to E-learning services

Guidance and information about Schengen and other visas. 

Biometric Residence Permit

Link to Email, computers and internet

Information about BRPs and what to do if yours is lost or stolen.

Working in the UK

Link to Interrupting your studies

Information about working in the UK both during and after completion of study. 


Link to Fee schedules

Information about the Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS)

Medical Electives

Stethoscope and laptop

Guidance on applying for a visa to undertake a Medical Elective at UCL. 

EU Settlement Scheme

personal tutor

The scheme allows EU citizens to continue to study, work and live in the UK post-Brexit.

Graduate route


Information about the new post-study work visa.